Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Week 7 Wine Tasting

I think, or rather hope, that I'm getting better at tasting wine. I feel like I'm better able to detect different flavors and nuances, even if they're not what everyone else smells/tastes. What I'm most excited about, though, is that I'm now enjoying wine in a new way. Hopefully I can continue to improve my palate! Alrighty, on to the wines!


Wine #1: Resonata
Resonata, Nero D'Avola, Sicily, Italy, 2010, $6.95

Smell: Some dark fruit at the beginning, like plums and cherries, and then an oakiness (is that a word? We'll pretend that it is)

Taste: Buttery, oaky, toast, but tart at the same time. There was some heat at the end. I like parts of this, but not others, so I'm not sure what I feel about it.

Established Review: "Dense ruby red with violet reflections. Lush and ripe bouquet full of mulberries, blackberries and spice. Harmonious and well balanced with good berry fruit in a spicy background." Vintage Cellar


Wine #2: Don Ramon
Don Ramon, Tinto (75% Grenache, 25% Tempranillo), Spain, 2008, $7.95

Smell: Very fruity, but light. I got cherry and blackberry.

Taste: It was initially very sweet, then tart, and then hot. Somewhere in there I tasted cranberry.

Established Review: "Ruby red in color, with creamy aromas of earth and cherry. Flavor turns toward deeper and darker black cherry and raspberry on a medium framework. A subtle earthiness underneath the bright fruit adds some depth and complexity." Vintage Cellar




Wine #3: Heinz Eifel
Heinz Eifel "Shine", Riesling, Germany, 2010, $8.95

Smell: There was a mineral smell to it, kind of like a rock, maybe one with some moss on it. And there was a hint of raspberry.

Taste: Still mineral, but also tangy. It was sweet at first, like peaches and cranberries.

Established Review: "Flint and mineral notes accent pineapple and lime aromas, while on the palate, the wine shows plenty of ripe, citrusy fruit flavors. Tangy acids on the long finish provide balance." Vintage Cellar




Wine #4: Muscanti
Muscanti Brut, Muscanti, Girona, Spain, no vintage, $7.95

Smell: Lemon and apple, and I thought I got a small hint of banana, but I couldn't find the smell again when I tried

Taste: Very crisp, lemon and sour apple, and a bit bubbly

Established Review: "Lemon blossoms, green apple, toast and honeydew melon are front and center in this crisp refreshing Spanish Sparkler. Silky supple with lingering flavors, yet a tingle of citric acid on the finish." Vintage Cellar


Wine #5: Spanish Vines
Spanish Vines, Sauvignon Blanc, Spain, 2009, $4.95

Smell: Sweetness, some banana, and grass. The alcohol-y smell was also apparent

Taste: Light with some grapefruit and minerality. Very smooth, creamy finish

Established Review: "Apple and floral notes and then an almost buttery palate with baked apple and citrus flavors." Wine Enthusiast via Vintage Cellar

No comments:

Post a Comment